The experts say that the occasional colon cleanse is both healthy and necessary. If you ever tried it, you’ll agree — it makes you feel better, gives you more energy, and may even kickstart weight loss.
The Colon Cleanse Diet in a Nutshell
The primary focus of the colon cleanse diet is to remove the stuff that clogs the gut and add in the things that flush the bowel out. So, how does it work? Removing toxins and buildup is more challenging than you might think. Many of the foods in your diet can slow your system. The primary foods that causes these problems are refined grains and animal sources. This includes bread, pasta, most processed food, and most sweets.
The problem is twofold. First, these refined grains feed the bacteria in our gut that tend to cause problems when they overgrow, especially yeast and the infamous Candida. When you get too many, they slow down your digestive system and create health problems like allergies, fatigue, and brain fog. Secondly, they contain lectins. Lectins have become a hot topic in recent months as we have started to understand what they do in our systems. Their primary goal is to slow and stop growth. In our gut, they cause the protective mucous membrane to break down, leak molecules into the blood, and increase inflammation.
A good colon cleanse diet requires the elimination all meats. Digestively, meats are hard on our system, even though they provide protein and vitamin B12. It’s a myth that meat putrefies in your gut, but it can pass through without breaking down properly, disrupting the delicate probiotic balance. Water, not just fluid, is added in abundance, but not excessively. Water helps flush out your food, reduces inflammation, and hydrates the body. It does so much more than just clean the system. During a colon cleanse, processed foods are entirely cut out of your diet. Most contain refined, herbicide-laden grains. On top of that, most contain high levels of toxins, chemicals, preservatives, and other additives that cause disease and distress.
Benefits of a Colon Cleanse
Numerous benefits come out of a healthy colon cleanse. Even doing a partial cleanse provides some benefit. And the best part is that it comes with only a few mild side effects.
- Weight Loss — As you flush out the waste, buildup, and toxins, it drops your weight. But, that’s not all. Once your digestive system works better, it absorbs more nutrients so you won’t eat as much. By eating less, you lose even more weight. The total weight loss is usually between 5 and 10 pounds.
- More Energy – As your body fights to get nutrients from a clogged up colon, it uses up your strength. Plus, it prevents the body from getting enough vitamins and minerals to sustain sufficient energy levels. Once you clear out the colon, your energy levels surge.
- Better Digestion – Cleansing the colon allows you to fully digest your food, making nutrients more bioavailable, reducing pain and irritation in your gut, and making you more regular.
- Other Effects – During a cleanse, people often feel their brain fog lifting, their immune system fighting off bugs, their skin clearing, and their sleep improving.
Side Effects of Colon Cleanse Diets
For some people, there can be side effects associated with cleansing. If you clear out a lot of debris, your body may be shocked by the sudden change. This is a phenomenon known as The Healing Crisis. It may cause flu-like symptoms, mood swings, nausea, rashes, vomiting, and other unpleasant side effects. Rarely do the side effects become dangerous. Mostly, they are irritations and disconcerting. If any of these occur more than a day, you should contact your doctor.
Starting a Cleanse on Your Own
Ready to kickstart your health with a colon cleanse? We recommend starting with one of our approachable fiber cleanse options. These cleansing drinks and supplements are primarily made of organic psyllium and organic flax seed, as well as 28 different herbs to help the body cleans the colon, eliminate toxins, and totally reset bowel function. There are a few smart ways to start your cleanse to minimize side effects:
- Drink lots of water. Try to get in at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. To work a cleanse, do more.
- Avoid processed foods. Cutting out the junk automatically cuts out more sugars, chemicals, and toxins. It also helps increase healthy food in your diet.
- Eat lots of fruit and veggies. These vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fibers provide your body with the tools it needs to clear out and be healthy. Juicing works very well to get more of these healthy foods in your diet.
Taking care of your colon helps take care of your health. Focus on healthy fruits and vegetables, and lots of water. Your gut will thank you!