We are each the unique creation of God! Each of us was designed by God to have a healthy body and healthy offspring, which in turn were designed by God to produce a healthy family:
I want us for a few minutes to take an honest look at your family and see what we can see.
Now I am not writing this to be critical or hurtful, but rather I am hoping that each person reading this will use the occasion to take a good look at the physical health of their own family and see if they are pleased with what they see.
As we begin, I am going to ask a number of questions in an effort to help each of us stimulate our thinking with regard as to whether our family is on a good road that will lead to abundant health, or on a bad path that will lead to increasing physical break down and possibly an early and untimely death.
For some, this will not be an easy journey, and there are no doubt some that are already afraid to go any further in turning the spotlight on their own family. But friend, if we don’t avail ourselves of this opportunity to take an honest look at where our family is physically, the future health of our family can potentially be far worse than it is today.
Let’s begin . . . . and please be as honest as possible with your answers:
What Is The Size Of Your Family?
In answer to this question I am not looking for you to tell the number of people in your family, but rather what I am asking is “What is the size of your family?”
- How BIG is each member of your family?
- How much does each member WEIGH?
- What is their waistline, hip and/or bust size?
Statistics tell us that over 60% percent of the population is overweight.
In recent years there has been an explosion in childhood obesity, while at the same time parents are experiencing ever expanding waistlines. Now take a good look at your own family – your spouse – and children if you have any.
What Do You See?
- Dad – Does dad have a slim, trim, muscular body? Or is there a bulge at the waistline? I am appalled at the number of preachers who get up to preach on a Sunday morning, standing in a pulpit proclaiming the Word of God, and being anything but a good representative of the Lord because of a protruding waistline that resembles a beer belly. But it is not just the preachers who often have expanded waistlines, but the average man in the average congregation as well.
- Mother – What is the physical shape of mom? I’m not saying that she has to have that muscular body that dad should have, but she should have a slim and trim body without bulging, excess fat on every curve.
- Children – What is the body mass of your children? Are they slim and trim and an object of perpetual motion as God designed them to be? Or are they overweight and sluggish, desiring rather to sit and watch television, play a video game, or sit at a computer – than participating in physically demanding sports activities?
What Are The Choices?
Now that we have taken an honest evaluation of our family’s physical body size and shape, what are we going to do with what we have just been made aware? You have three choices.
- Ignore the problem – Friend, you can ignore it, but that will not make the problem go away or improve the situation. Rather, if you ignore it, the problem will no-doubt get worse over time, and eventually (if some of the symptoms are not already being manifested) produce some very serious health challenges and even an early death. Are you willing to gamble with your family’s health?
- Recognize the problem, but do nothing to correct it – Your results are not going to be any better than that of the person who chooses to ignore what they see. The Bible speaks very strongly to these people, telling us in James 4:17: “Therefore, to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
- Recognize the problem and take action to correct it – This is what God intends for us as we read in James 1:22-24:“But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.”
We Must Commit and Do Our Part To Achieve Victory
It doesn’t matter how spiritual we are or how much we pray and ask God to take something undesirable away – prayer will not solve the problem.
We created the situation and it is up to each of us to resolve it.
In other words, God will not do for us what we are not willing to do for ourselves or at least be a participant in.
Now God will certainly help us achieve our goals, but the effort has to be initiated by us and we have to be committed to its achievement.
Here is what God promises us if we will make the commitment and start down that road to victory:
Consequences of Ignoring The Problem
This is an irreversible law, established by Almighty God that warns of consequences when we ignore what is self evident.
So what are the consequences of ignoring the condition of being overweight or obese?
Being overweight or obese can become a matter of life and death.
People who are overweight are more likely to develop a number of potentially serious physical and even emotional problems, and this overweight condition increases the risk of an early and untimely death.
Following are just a few of the risk factors of being overweight:
Heart Disease – The more weight a person is carrying over their ideal weight the greater their risk of an early death due to heart disease. Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in America, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
These heart attacks are usually preceded by elevated blood pressure readings. These elevated readings are caused by fat accumulation on the arterial walls that requires the heart to pump harder in order to push the blood through the accumulated fat clinging to the arterial walls, thus hindering the blood flow.
Recently, a 45-year-old Baptist Pastor, a pastor I knew personally, dropped dead due to a massive heart attack.
The effect of obesity on children is even more alarming.
According to a Huffington Post report on research at Children’s Hospital in Kansas City, “Obese children as young as 10 had the arteries of a 45-year-olds and other heart abnormalities that greatly raise their risk of heart disease”, say doctors who used ultrasound tests to take a peek inside.
Dr. Michael Schloss, a New Your University heart disease prevention specialist says, “If you’ve seen what’s on the menu for most school lunches, these findings are no surprise,” he said. “The time has come to seriously deal with the issue of childhood obesity and physical inactivity.”
When traveling, Rhonda and I will often stop at a McDonald’s (not to eat, of course, but for a restroom break) and I am appalled at what I see: children eating burgers and fries, while drinking a sugar laden soda.
Obviously they don’t they realize that just one 12 oz drink of sugar laden soda a day, contains enough sugar to add 15 pounds to a person’s weight in a year!
I heard what was meant to be a joke the other day that really wasn’t funny: The quickest way to gain entrance into a cemetery is through the “Golden Arches.”
If you haven’t already seen the video “Super Size Me” this is a must see. It chronicles a man who, for 30 days, ate nothing but Golden Arches food, and at the end of 30 days he was seriously ill.
Excess weight can play a significant role in creating conditions that set the stage for a stroke. As the fat accumulates in the arteries leading to the brain, it has the potential of shutting off the oxygen flow to the brain which leads to a stroke. This slow shut off of oxygen reaching the brain due to fat build up often contributes to a decline in mental abilities as a person ages.
As the number of overweight people continues to climb, so does the rate of diabetes. Excess fat makes the body resistant to insulin, and when the body is resistant to insulin, the cells are unable to get the energy they need. Diabetes used to be an adult problem, but today juvenile diabetes is sweeping the land.
There is also a link between body weight and Type 2 diabetes. The link is the interaction of fat cells and insulin. The cells in the body need insulin to bring them glucose. But fat cells are resistant to insulin, leaving an unnecessarily high level of glucose in the bloodstream, thus not providing enough energy for the cells. Essentially, the fat is zapping energy and eventually the body becomes resistant to insulin.
Hormones are the key link between an overweight person and an increased risk of cancer. The New England Journal of Medicine published a study that concluded that virtually all forms of cancer are more prevalent in people with a higher body mass.
As the number of pounds a person carries increase, the potential for developing cancer proportionally increases.
Body mass wasn’t only linked to new cancer cases; it was also linked to cancer survival rates.
The more overweight a person becomes, the greater the potential for sleep apnea. We have received some wonderful testimonies here at Hallelujah Acres from folks who adopted the Hallelujah Diet, and as the excess pounds came off, their need for their PAP machine became less and less until they were able to eliminate the machine entirely.
STRAIN ON BACK AND KNEES
A regulation bowling ball weighs 16 pounds. If you were to take overweight pounds and divide those pounds by 16, that is the number of bowling balls the body is carrying, mainly around their waist. This extra weight places a tremendous strain on the body to support this extra weight, especially on the knees and back.
This extra weight leads to knee pain, disc problems, and back pain. These problems often lead to knee replacement, and back surgeries. And these surgeries usually follow years of doctor visits, drugs, and pain. All these problems along with other problems that are related to carrying excess weight are completely avoidable, and occur only because a person allowed their body to put on too many extra pounds.
If the information in this article applies to you and/or your family, PLEASE seriously consider taking some action NOW to protect your family from the consequences.
Next week, the good Lord willing and if the creeks don’t rise too high we will return with another exciting issue of the Hallelujah Health Tip. Trust you will join us and that you will share these Health Tips with friends and loved ones.