Do you want your life to revolve around “living to eat” or “eating to live”?
If your desire is to “eat to live” I can help you. If all you want to do is “live to eat,” there isn’t much hope for you unless you are willing to change your reason for eating.
If you are “living to eat” you will see your food costs remain unnecessarily high, your health problems and health care costs continue to escalate, and you will no doubt experience increased physical breakdown as well as an early and untimely death.
You may ask:
“Rev. Malkmus, what in the world does my diet have to do with the physical problems I experience, my food costs, my health Care costs, and the time of my death?”
The answer: everything!
In our current economy, each year approximately $1 trillion goes to food companies, while nearly $3 trillion goes to the health care industry in an effort to undo the damage done by consuming the unhealthy, “so-called” foods, sold by the food companies.
Not everything on the shelves of the supermarket or that we place in our mouth as “food” is food — nor does everything we place in our mouth nourish our bodies.
The food merchants of our day do a masterful job in making you think their products are real “food”. But in reality, many of these “foods” do not meet Webster’s definition of food:
“Any nourishing substance taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, and promote growth”
Most Food Dollars Pay For Non-Foods
Some 90% of the money Americans spend on “food” goes toward the purchase of manufactured and processed “so-called” foods. Why do we eat such a high percentage of these manufactured and processed foods?
There are a number of reasons:
- In 2006, 2,800 new candies, desserts, ice creams, and snacks were introduced into the marketplace, compared to 230 new fruit or vegetable products.
- While the drug industry spends $20 billion a year to promote their drugs, the food industry spends twice that amount to convince you to buy their highly processed convenience “so-called” foods.
- Processed foods are addictive. The manufactured food industry has cleverly and chemically altered their products to make sure you never tire of eating them. In other words, they are intentionally processed to be addictive.
- Most of these manufactured foods are loaded with unhealthy addictive substances such as refined sugar, corn syrup, salt, MSG, and others, which dramatically increase the potential of a person becoming addicted to that non-food.
- Refined sugar is added to most manufactured foods because it is (1) cheap, (2) improves flavor, and (3) has been proven to be more addictive than cocaine! Sugar is very addictive, and weakens the immune system.
- Often, people who can’t eat their favorite manufactured food, feel they are being deprived, and will go to almost any length to obtain it.
- Once a person has become addicted to these highly processed and stimulating foods, the foods God designed our bodies to be nourished with (See Genesis 1:29 for a listing), God’s foods don’t taste as good. This is because our taste buds and natural instincts have been perverted by the manufactured foods of the food industry.
Why Manufactured and Processed Foods Don’t Satisfy Hunger
Suppose you had never eaten a banana before and I hand you one. The first thing I want you to notice is that the banana is an outstanding example of God’s natural packaging.
That banana will last for days without refrigeration and it is biodegradable (capable of decaying through living organisms contained within, leaving nothing behind for the landfill), and it tells you when it is ready to eat. Compare that with potato chips and the bag in which they come, which clog our landfills.
Now if your taste buds have not been perverted by manufactured foods, and you have never eaten a banana before and I hand you one, and you eat it, you will probably say “wow”! After you have eaten that banana, you will no doubt think that it is the most exciting, moist, delicious thing you have ever eaten and will probably ask if you can have another.
And so I hand you another. After three or four bananas, what you first thought was the most delicious food you had ever eaten, is now a food I don’t believe you will want to see for awhile.
Next, I give you an apple. Again, as with that banana, you think it is one of the most delicious foods you have ever eaten. So you eat a second apple, and a third. What happens to most people after the second or third apple? Most people won’t want to eat another apple for a while.
Now I want you to notice something…
God used your mind and taste buds to instinctively cause you to eat the banana or apple in the first place, so that you could obtain the nutrients contained within, which your body needed in order to satisfy its nutritional requirements — and thus stop eating when nutritional needs are satisfied.
Now suppose I give you a bag of potato chips. How long do you think it will take you to be satisfied, and want to stop eating them – two, four, six, eight chips? Or will you have eaten the whole bag before you feel unpleasantly satiated… or perhaps not satisfied at all, but just bloated.
Why does it take us so long to get tired of processed foods vs. natural foods?
It is because they have been chemically altered from the natural form they were found in nature.
In their whole, natural, raw form, your body will instinctively tell you when to stop eating real food. But because processed foods have been specially formulated so that your perverted, taste buds don’t tire of them and because they contain no nourishment, your hunger is not satisfied.
This is because the body has not received the nutrients it needs to signal satisfaction and turn off your appetite.
Watch a child when given a piece of candy or a cookie. Are they satisfied with one piece or do they keep asking for more? And if denied more, watch how often the child will cry and possibly go into a tantrum demanding more?
Next time give them that banana or apple and see how quickly they are satisfied and no longer ask for more. (On the Hallelujah Diet we have lots of satisfied kids and adults!)
Why Everyone Should Eat The Hallelujah Diet
If everyone ate the Hallelujah Diet, health insurance, along with national health care would, in most cases, only be needed in case of accident. Here are some reasons why:
- Garden foods are the only foods God designed our physical bodies to ever have placed in them. God articulated what foods we should eat in Genesis 1:29. And who would know better what foods we should nourish our bodies with than the very Creator of that body?
“AND GOD SAID, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed (vegetable), which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food.” (Genesis 1:29)
- Garden foods, in their living and raw form, are the only foods that satisfy our instinctive cravings.
- Garden foods not only nourish our bodies, and prevent sickness, but are the only foods that will fight disease and help disease-proof our bodies.
- Garden foods make us strong and keep us healthy.
- Manufactured and processed foods cannot do any of the above!
- The medical industry depends on the food industry to provide them with their customers (patients). Thus the food industry provides the medical industry with patients to treat, and the dollars needed to stay in business. Without the processed and manufactured food industry, there would be practically no need for the medical industry, except for trauma victims.
Manufactured and processed foods cannot provide the nutrients that make us healthy! And the medical industry doesn’t want them to. You see, the medical industry depends on the food industry to provide them with their patients (customers).
Thus the food industry provides the medical industry with the profit source they need to stay in business. Without the processed and manufactured food industry, there would be practically no need for the medical industry, except for trauma victims.
If everyone consumed the Hallelujah Diet, health insurance along with national health care would, in most cases only be needed in case of accident.
Let’s Talk About Economics
Almost everything you purchase that comes in a package — box, can, or container of any kind — is a non-food, a food incapable of properly nourishing your God created physical body. The question I’d like us to consider now is this:
Is the purchase of these non-living foods a good investment?
Manufactured foods do not contain the nutrients our body needs in order to be strong and healthy and capable of resisting sickness and disease. So the few dollars you possibly “save” buying processed food will be spent on going to doctor visits and pills…and those expenses can be in the thousands.
Plus, manufactured foods don’t really satisfy your appetite and you will end up eating more of them. That means you’ll actually be spending more.
So I ask you again: Is the purchase of these manufactured foods a good investment? I think you’ll agree that the answer is “no”.
How To Eat Well, Save Money, and Stay Healthy
- The Hallelujah Diet is comprised of 85% raw, enzymatically alive, garden foods. These are the foods God designed our physical bodies to thrive on, and these raw foods are much less expensive than packaged manufactured foods. Now go through your refrigerator and see how many God created raw foods it contains.
- The Hallelujah Diet is comprised of 15% plant-based cooked foods. While not always the ideal, these cooked foods do provide some nutrients, makes it easier to achieve optimal caloric intake, as well as support the energy needs of the body. Children need about a 50% cooked-to-raw food ratio. These cooked foods also make the diet more doable and acceptable to the masses, while doing the body no harm. These foods are also less expensive because they are usually purchased in their raw form and prepared at home.
- Anything that comes in a container costs more than the original whole food from which it was made. Try to keep pre-processed and packaged foods to a minimum because they are not only expensive, but also almost totally devoid of nutrition. Now go through your cupboard and refrigerator and see what percentage is comprised of manufactured and packaged foods.
- The Hallelujah Diet will in most instances, disease-proof your family’s physical bodies. Now, think about all the money you currently spend trying to subdue the symptoms you or your family are experiencing because you eat manufactured foods: headaches, acid stomach, skin problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleeplessness, fatigue, and the list may go on.
- Consuming the Hallelujah Diet should stop the need and thus the expense of over-the-counter and prescription drugs. Think not only of the dollars saved here, but also all the suffering, lost work days, etc. you will no longer experience.
Shop and Compare!
The next time you go grocery shopping, evaluate how many dollars you spend on whole, living, raw plant foods, the foods God designed your body to be nourished with.
Compare the dollars you spend on whole, living, raw foods, to the dollars you spend on manufactured non-foods, which have practically no nutritional value, and which create physical problems for which you need to spend additional dollars to remedy.
That evaluation will be a vivid forecaster of the health you and your family will experience in the future as a result of eating what you have just purchased.
Eating as close to God’s Genesis 1:29 diet as possible, is the best way to eat well, stay healthy, and save money in tough economic times!
Next week, the good Lord willing and if the creeks don’t rise too high we will return with another exciting issue of the Hallelujah Health Tip. Trust you will join us and that you will share these Health Tips with friends and loved ones.