About 6,000 women enter menopause every day. While a lucky few don’t experience significant changes, the vast majority suffer from debilitating symptoms such as hot flashes, insomnia, anxiety and overwhelming fatigue. The good news is: Not only do we have options to ease these troublesome conditions, we are no longer limited to pharmaceutical treatments that may pose risks to our health. We have effective solutions that work in harmony with our own bodies—all with natural resources from this very Earth.
First, let’s explore why menopause occurs:
A woman carries a predetermined quantity of eggs. The eggs are held in the ovaries, which produce estrogen and progesterone, the hormones responsible for controlling menstruation and ovulation. When the ovaries discontinue releasing eggs, menstruation ceases and menopause begins.
What are the three phases of menopause?
- Peri-menopause: usually starts several years prior to menopause.
- Ovaries slowly begin to produce less estrogen, with quicker drops in estrogen levels the last year or two before menopause.
- Key symptoms: Unpredictable menstrual cycles, more bloating, mood swings, weight gain and hot flashes/night sweats.
- Menopause: a year since a woman last had her last menstrual period. The average age when a woman hits menopause is 51.
- The ovaries stop releasing eggs and maximizing estrogen.
- Key symptoms: Menstruation completely stops, the woman is no longer fertile and the symptoms of peri-menopause persist.
- Post-menopause: the time after menopause.
- Major symptoms, such as hot flashes, reduce for many women, but estrogen loss still causes uncomfortable conditions. Also, there are still health risks, such as osteoporosis, heart disease and breast cancer.
- Key symptoms: sagging skin, vaginal dryness and decreased sexual activity.
What are the most common symptoms of menopause?
Hot flashes are the most well-known symptom of menopause, characterized by unexpected, warm sensations throughout the body, usually the upper areas such as the chest, neck and face. The intensity of hot flashes varies from woman to woman.
Other symptoms include a combination of:
- Mood swings and irritability
- Irregular periods
- Depression and anxiety
- Racing heart
- Headaches and migraines
- Joint and muscle aches
- Changes to sex drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Bladder issues
So what options are available to alleviate the symptoms of menopause?
Hormone Replacement Therapies (& Their Risks)
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is currently the most familiar medical treatment that combats negative menopausal conditions. In short, HRT uses medications that contain female hormones to replace the hormones lost during menopause.
However, clinical trials have indicated that HRT isn’t the safest bet for women. The largest trial conducted to date found that Prempro, which combines estrogen and progestin, increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, blood clots and breast cancer. The subjects of the trial also reported their hot flashes, insomnia, and other symptoms came back during treatment. Another trial studied the estrogen-only pill Premarin and suggested similar risks in terms of stroke and blood clots.
Another similar medical treatment is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), which is medication that contains hormones molecularly identical in structure to the body’s natural hormones. Unfortunately, there is not much solid evidence that indicates BHRT is safer or more effective than regular HRT. In fact, many establishments, including the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, FDA, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American Cancer Society, have stated there lacks a sufficient amount of evidence rendering BHRT a safer solution to menopause and, until that evidence comes to fruition, we should assume BHRT is as risky as HRT.
If hormone replacement therapy isn’t the safest option, is there a natural and effective alternative?
As a response to the ever-growing demand for a natural and safe solution to menopause symptoms—and in our mission to provide sustainable, plant-based solutions for a healthier, vibrant life—the Hallelujah Diet spent years developing Luminology™, a line of three menopause products specifically designed to promote hormonal balance and tackle the taxing symptoms of menopause at each phase: peri-menopause, menopause and post-menopause.
The Luminology supplements were expertly formulated for optimal health through all stages of a woman’s life and, because they are HRT-free, they significantly help women reduce potential risk and minimize exposure to future health complications.
The Key Ingredients of the Luminology Trio
All three Luminology products contain:
- MacaPure® is the only Macaextract product available standardized on the unique compounds present in maca. This maca has been shown in studies to be helpful in balancing sex hormones and reducing hot flashes and night sweats. Maca itself does not contain any phytoestrogens or hormonally active compounds, but it modulates the body’s production of its own hormones to normalize health.
- Vitex Berry helps normalize menstrual periods and promote progesterone production, which particularly aids women who are estrogen dominant. Vitex berry contains no hormones, but has been shown to normalize the length of the menstrual cycle.
- Bio Response DIM (3-3’-Diindoylmethane) helps rid the body of excess estrogens, both from the body’s own production and from environmental sources. DIM has also been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer and increase the amount of active free testosterone in the body, which is especially important for women. As DIM is a fat-soluble compound, many supplements with DIM are poorly absorbed. Bio Response DIM is the only DIM that is optimized for increased bioavailability.
- Vitamin B6 and Zinc boost antioxidant defenses and immune system function. Zinc has been added to this formula as excess estrogen can deplete the body’s zinc stores. Vitamin B6, in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate, has been shown to be helpful in easing PMS symptoms. For women who are not menstruating and not dealing with PMS, the inclusion of pyridoxal-5-phosphate has antioxidant benefits that extend beyond balancing hormones by improving overall well-being.
- Yucca helps facilitate the absorption of fat-soluble ingredients.
“I am writing today to express my gratitude and excitement over the results that I am receiving from taking the new Breeze formula……So I wasted no time in purchasing it. I want to say that I have been taking it faithfully every night, just two capsules for about 2-3 weeks max. In just about a weeks time I began to notice that my hot flashes not only diminished, but that they altogether disappeared! …. And I only awaken once or twice in the night, whereas before I was waking anywhere from 4-8 times! I feel like a new person! I cannot tell you how grateful and amazed I am….” – Claire S.
3 Proven Products for 3 Life Phases… and the Clinical Studies
The clinically proven line of menopause products includes:
- Balance (peri-menopause): Balance by Luminology™ is clinically proven to reduce symptoms such as irregular periods, sleep deprivation, mood swings, hormone-related migraine headaches and PMS experienced by many women during peri-menopause.
- Breeze (menopause): Breeze by Luminology™ can restore hormonal balance, cool hot flashes, quench night sweats and calm the anxiety associated with menopause.
- Clarity (post menopause): Clarity by Luminology™ is clinically proven to reduce hot flashes, restore libido and relieve the vaginal dryness experienced by many women during post-menopause.
Hormone balancing is a delicate process in women that involves cyclical changes as well as changes brought on by the seasons of life. In our quest to develop the new menopause products, Luminology™ conducted an eight-week research study of 62 women. About two-thirds of all of the women and 85% of the women aged 46-52 in the study experienced significant positive benefits from using the supplements.
A PLANT-BASED DIET FOR MENOPAUSAL RELIEF
Plants of course are essential components of any healthy diet, but committing to raw, plant-based foods are especially critical during times of menopause. Processed foods containing unhealthy fats and refined sugars may exacerbate symptoms of menopause. Focus on foods rife with nutrients, such as asparagus, avocados, berries and whole grains.
There are also “culprit” foods you should replace with healthier options:
- Replace canned soups with fresh soups
- Replace frozen dinners with fresh salads and steamed veggies
- Replace coffee with grain-based coffee
- Replace soda with kombucha
- Replace refined sugars with stevia, fruits and dates
Plants are also menopause-friendly because they contain chemicals called phytoestrogens that can specifically target menopause symptoms. Phytoestrogens are very similar in structure to estrogen. Although they don’t function exactly the way our actual hormones do, they may be able to “trick” our bodies into believing it has more estrogen, which in turn helps reduce menopausal conditions.
Phytoestrogen-rich foods include: winter squash, broccoli, green beans, collards, onions, apricots, dates, prunes, peaches, berries and pumpkin, sunflower & sesame seeds.
It’s also been suggested that boron, a mineral, can help the body retain estrogen.
Boron-rich foods that contain phytoestrogens include: plums, strawberries, tomatoes, raspberries, grapes, asparagus, beets, bell peppers, carrots, cauliflowers, lettuce, onions and sweet potatoes.
Menopause is a natural part of every woman’s life, but it’s indeed possible to regain the balance in your body in a purely natural, safe and sustainable way. If you’re suffering from the day-to-day, seemingly never-ending conditions caused by menopause, see how Luminology can change your life.
To help you stay right on track every day, sign up for the Luminology Newsletter and you will receive our Complete Grocery List—absolutely free! You will then be part of a community of like-minded women and get the latest updates, news and oh-so-delicious recipes that will help you get back on your road to a bright, beautiful, bountiful life!