However, there is more to having a healthy body than just proper nutrition. Exercise is extremely important!
As a boy, exercise was a natural part of each day (the pastime of watching TV did not exist). From kindergarten through 6th grade, I walked about a mile to school each way. Junior high was about a two-mile walk each way, and high school was a 3.5 mile walk each way.
After school I delivered newspapers by foot to nearly 100 customers. I played stick ball in a local sandlot after school. We didn’t have the money to buy gloves, bats and balls, and so we played with an old broom stick and a tennis ball.
In high school I delivered prescriptions for a local pharmacy by bicycle 6 days a week after swimming a mile in a city pool most days after school. I earned three major letters in swimming in high school.
After graduating from high school I went into the navy and sat at a desk on board a ship for years with little exercise. After my time in the navy I had an office job where I once again sat most of the time. Then as a pastor, sat most of the time in an office or stood in a pulpit preaching.
From age 18 to age 42, exercise played a very insignificant roll in my life.
In 1976, at the age of 42, after being told I had cancer, I changed my diet, started a walking program, and saw my cancer simply disappear in less than a year and without any medical attention. I even purchased a treadmill during these years so that I could walk/run no matter the weather.
But I was not a strong person, especially in my upper body. My abs were soft, my triceps and biceps were pretty puny and I had very little strength in my arms or upper body.
Then about three years ago I was introduced to the Fit 10 exercise system. I started using it most every day of the week and miracles started to take place in my upper body. My abs became rock hard, I increased my triceps and biceps two inches and my chest four inches. I had a strong handshake and was even able to beat teenagers in arm wrestling.
If I can increase my physical strength at 77 years of age, you can too! Here are some inexpensive healthy pieces of exercise equipment that you might like to consider as Christmas gifts for those you love… or even for yourself.[youtube uospTwwiMuU nolink]
Fit 10 – The Fit 10 provides stretching, resistance, and aerobic exercises – just hook it on any door! It comes in a small cloth bag and contains a rope and bungee cord that easily fits into a suitcase. In just 10 minutes a day, you can get a full-body workout!
- Lose weight, tone or build muscle, increase strength, get a cardio workout, stretch – and feel great.
- Low impact on joints, hips, and knees. Safe to use with back problems.
- Easily control the resistance level you need to build strength, tone, and slenderize.
- Unique design allows you to easily move from one exercise to another – no weights to remove or add.
- Can be used in conjunction with a rebounder; also a great complement to Pilates and cardio routines.
- No assembly required. Sets up in seconds and can be done in virtually any room of your home or even in a hotel room.
- A fun and easy way to reach your personal fitness goals.
- Lifetime guarantee on the equipment.
You can order a Fit 10 online or call 800.915.9355.[youtube 4wLn7YrO8Hw nolink]
Exerstrider Walking Poles – Exerstrider poles turn walking into a fun and more effective total body exercise with benefits similar to cross country skiing.
With Exerstrider poles you’ll build more fitness in less time by simultaneously exercising all of the body’s major muscles with every stride.
Every pair of Exerstrider poles comes with a five-star rated user’s guide filled with valuable information to maximize your Exerstrider experience and results.
- Two-piece, high quality, lightweight aluminum alloy construction.
- Plum/Dark Magenta, with silver graphics.
- Weight – 10.5 oz /299 grams each pole.
- Ergonomic strapless grips for comfort.
- Adjustable from 41” to 51” to fit users 4’4” to 6’1” tall.
- Includes both carbide tips and rubber booties for varying terrain.
Rhonda and this editor walk at least 2 miles most every evening with our Exerstrider Walking Poles. I feel that these poles have played a significant role in the strengthening of my upper body and arms.
You can order Exerstrider Walking Poles online or call 800.915.9355.
Needak Rebounder – Rebounding is 68% more efficient than treadmills or many other forms of exercise. My rebounder sits in the middle of the floor either in my study or in our great room and is used most every day.
The Needak Rebounder mini–trampoline provides one of the best low-impact aerobic workouts ever devised. Includes a 40” diameter heavy-duty metal frame and six spring-loaded legs (removable). It even folds in half to fit into its own carrying bag and includes a lifetime frame warranty. (Recommended for people less than 300 pounds). Stabilizing bar for better balancing and full goodies pack is also available.
- Provides an increased G-force (gravitational load, which strengthens the musculoskeletal system).
- Protects the joints from the chronic fatigue and impact delivered by exercising on hard surfaces.
- Aids lymphatic circulation by stimulating the lymphatic system.
- Circulates more oxygen to the tissues.
- Increases capacity for respiration.
- Increases the functional activity of the bone marrow in the production of red blood cells.
- Strengthens the heart and other muscles in the body.
- Lowers circulating cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Promotes tissue repair.
- Enhances digestion and elimination processes.
- Allows for deeper and easier relaxation and sleep.
You can order your Needak Rebounder online or call 800.915.9355.
Watch for a special article on rebounding, including an interview with Olympic rebounding trainer Harry Sneider in the Winter 2011 (January) issue of Health News magazine.