How do you help your kids get the most out of their time in school?
Kids need to know they are loved and secure. They also need to be in an environment where learning is encouraged both inside and outside of the classroom.
Some key points to consider for kids to be successful in school are:
- Manage their TV time each day. Instead of the after school electronic babysitter, encourage them to pick up a book. If they must use technology, find the book on an IPAD so they can continue their reading but not feel technically deprived.
- Feed them Brain Food! Daily consumption of Omega 3, DHA and quality amino acids will help kids concentrate and keep focus. Kids especially need DHA (fish oil) for optimal brain development. A copy of our kid’s Brain Power Smoothie is below. Remember, kids can have several of these each day and it will serve them well in nourishing their brains.
Brain Power Smoothie Recipe:
- 4 to 6 oz organic apple juice or almond milk or rice milk
- 1/4 cup frozen organic blueberries or other frozen organic fruit
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional Essentials vanilla flavor dietary supplement
- 2 Tbsp. freshly ground organic flax seed or B-Flax-D by Hallelujah Diet
- 1/2 tsp. Pharmax Fish Oil
- 1/2 ripe banana
Blend all ingredients until smooth and enjoy immediately.
The great thing about this smoothie is it has a lot of amino acids, excellent long chain fatty acids to feed the brain, protein and mega vitamins and minerals to help the child’s brain in formation and focus. Parents have commented that their children are also better behaved and experience less ADD and ADHD tendencies.
- Daily exercise is a key component to ensuring kids get enough oxygen to feed their brain. If they can run around the yard whether they are playing catch, kickball or bouncing on a small rebounder, they’re breathing fresh air which believe it or not will help their brains! Not to mention the good it does for their hearts.
- One of the best things you can do for your children is to give them a routine. Their bodies need to know when it is time to awaken each morning and when to slow down and sleep each night. A consistent time for bed is valuable for the kids to know that their bodies can slow down and experience the healing properties that only sleep can provide. A nightly routine of bath, reading and light snack can also help them relax and grow sleepy.
- Limiting sugar consumption not only helps improve the child’s immune system reducing the risk of them catching the bugs circulating through the school but eliminating it also improves their ability to focus and their emotional behavior. Just like a drug, sugar gives the child a high and an ensuing low. Often children are identified as having ADD and ADHD tendencies when they really are consuming refined sugar.
In this day where cell phones, IPADs, and video games are all part of a normal day, it’s important to keep our kids aware of the basics of life. We must guide them into seeing the value of the necessities of daily life that include movement, quality food, exercise and select amount of electronic technology usage. Perhaps, if we do more of that in our own lives, our kids will see how valuable it is for them as well. Who was it that once said, “Being mimicked (copied) is the greatest compliment?” Let’s try to strive to be the best example for them so when they pick up our habits, those will serve them well.