In many cases, you may find yourself starting a raw food diet because you want to lose weight. For some, it’s to help stave off health issues, others realize it’ll help them in the future and want to begin eating healthily at a young age. Everyone has their reasons, but if you find that you are losing too much weight or struggling to gain weight when you didn’t really have any extra to lose, we have some suggestions on how to gain weight on a raw food diet.
There are a few options for how to gain weight on a raw food diet, and it is up to you as far as choosing which one is the best fit for your body and lifestyle.
- Increase your caloric intake. Depending on your lifestyle, this can be done in a variety of ways. You may want to start eating more meals throughout the day. If you generally only eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you’ll want to start sneaking in snacks throughout the day and adding some healthy desserts for after your dinner. Another option is to start eating more at mealtimes. However, if you fill up fast, this is going to be difficult.
- Eat more calorie-rich foods. Perhaps you’ve switched to the raw foods diet but aren’t focusing on eating fats and adding the healthy fats to your diet. One way to do this is to focus on healthy fats, which are more calorie-rich. Avocados are a great choice, as they are a healthy fat, and they taste great on a variety of salads and even blended into a smoothie.
- Cut back on your workouts. If you expend too much energy, without eating enough calories, you may find that you are losing weight. If you generally work out for several hours a day, you could consider cutting back on your workouts to see if you happen to gain some weight from it. However, keep up with the strength training, as muscle weighs more than fat.
- Add protein powder to your everyday meals and snacks. Organic protein powder is a wonderful way to add calories, while also helping you to build up muscle. Enjoying a raw foods diet can be a bit tricky when it comes to eating enough protein, so you need to ensure that you are properly supplementing that. Adding protein powder to your green smoothie will add calories and protein, which will also give you more energy to take on your day.
- Eat more fruits. That’s right, eating more fruits can help you to gain weight, and they taste delicious too. The best part of this is they can be added on top of almond milk yogurt or blended in a smoothie or made into a delicious raw foods dessert that will taste great, satisfy your sweet tooth, and get you gaining more calories.
If you’ve tried all of these tricks and nothing seems to be helping, you may want to discuss your weight loss with your doctor. Everyone’s body is different and we all have different caloric needs.