Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Regardless of the season, there’s always the perfect moment to eat a hearty stew, whether you’re home on a chilly night or want a filling lunch mid-day.
Chef Rich’s Moroccan Chickpea Stew is a flavor-bursting vegan and gluten-free dish that’s full of protein and fiber, which also makes it a great go-to companion for weight loss and maintenance. Chickpeas, the stew’s star ingredient, deliver extraordinary levels of magnesium, iron and vitamin B6, and the spherical bean has been linked to improving blood pressure, heart health and the digestive system, not to mention it may ward off cancer.
- In a medium or large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, ginger and garlic, and sauté for about 5 min.
- Add tomatoes, spices, salt and honey, and bring to a simmer.
- Add chickpeas, veggie broth and squash or sweet potato, and bring back to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover for 15 min, stirring every few min.
- Add in zucchini and apricots, and cook for another 10 min.
- Taste for seasoning, and adjust to your liking.
- Serve as is, garnished with chopped cilantro, or with your favorite grain (I recommend quinoa).