Sunflower seeds have a mild, nutty taste, and can be a great canvas for all sorts of different flavor profiles. They are also a fantastic source of Vitamin E, magnesium and selenium.
Makes 10-12 tortillas, depending on size
This recipe is gluten free
I would definitely recommend using fresh spinach or another crisp, leafy green for this recipe (romaine lettuce would work well). Defrosted spinach would be more wet and soft, whereas fresh spinach will have the crisp, fresh texture we’re looking for on a taco.
Raw Corn Tortillas:
- *Makes 10-12 tortillas, depending on size
- Place all ingredients except flax into a Vitamix, and blend, using the tamper at first, until completely smooth.
- Add the flax and blend another 10 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Using a tablespoon or soup spoon, spoon batter on to teflex-lined dehydrator trays.
- Use one large spoonful for each tortilla, and spread with the back of the spoon, using a circular motion.
- The tortillas will get thinner during the drying process, so make sure they are on the thick side when you’re spreading them out.
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 4-5 hours. Flip, remove the teflex, and dehydrate for another 2 hours.
- Remove, and store in a zipper bag or air-tight container.
- *These tortilla will be soft and pliable. For a crispy tortilla, simply dehydrate longer, until your desired texture is reached.
Sunflower Taco Meat:
- Makes enough for approximately 10-12 tacos
Recipe can be cut in half
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Pulse until it’s crumbly, and resembles ground meat.
- Will stay fresh in a sealed container, in the fridge, for up to 3 weeks.
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix, and blend until completely smooth.
- Lay a raw tortilla flat on a plate.
- Layer, starting with a spoonful of tacos meat, then a few slices of avocado, some salsa fresca, and a light drizzle of cilantro crema.
- Garnish with julienned spinach leaves.
Looks great… Is there a way to make the taco without a dehydrator? The lowest temp my oven goes to is 170..