Falafel Burgers w/ Garlic Tahini Kale and Sweet & Sour Harissa Slaw
Burger and slaw – the classic mouth – watering combo. What’s not to love?
Summertime is replete with tempting fat- and sugar-filled options, especially during outdoor BBQs and beach getaways. The good news is we plant-based eaters have equally (if not more) delicious alternatives for foods like hamburgers and cole slaw—like Chef Rich’s Falafel Burger with Garlic Tahini Kale and Sweet & Sour Harissa Slaw! At the heart of falafel are chickpeas, which possess an extraordinary combo of protein, fiber and vitamins & minerals. There’s no way you’ll walk away unsatisfied, so give it a go!
- In a small skillet, heat about 1 tsp. of coconut oil over medium low, and add the onion, garlic and jalapeño, and sauté for 2 min.
- Add the spices, and sauté for another 2 min. Remove from heat, and add to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pulse until well mixed, but still slightly chunky.
- Form into ½ inch thick, 4 inch wide patties, and place on a tray in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set up.
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a pan, and cook the burgers over medium heat for about 6-7 min per side.
- Be careful when flipping them, because they may be slightly soft.
- Serve plated with the Garlic Tahini Kale, and Sweet & Sour Harissa Slaw, OR you can pack everything into a whole grain pita – both are equally delicious.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Sauce should be slightly thick.
- Sauce should be slightly thick.
- In a mixing bowl, add about ¾ of your sauce onto the kale, and massage in until all of the kale is covered in the sauce.
- You can reserve the rest of your sauce to have a little extra with your pita sandwich, or to dip or drizzle with your falafel burger.
- *I like to use cilantro and parsley stems in dressings and sauces, because they blend well and they have a ton of flavor. It’s a great way to use the entire herb without wasting. So, when you’re using the herb leaves in the falafel burgers, set aside your stems for the sauce.
Sweet & Sour Harissa Slaw
- Toss all ingredients together in a mixing bowl, and let sit for 15 min before serving.
I just want to say this is so delicious !
All UR recipes are amazing! Thank U
For all the great recipes
And keep them coming! I’m so glad I found UR site! Blessings To U All!